Monday, February 23, 2009

Strong Middle Class




If you visit the Strong Middle Class Web site, you can tell a governmental task force what it will take to make a strong middle class. You have 5,000 characters, which I discovered is a lot. Here is what I submitted to my government:

If you want to help America, why don't you quit trying to divide us between the haves and the have nots. I grew up in a single-parent household where my mother worked two jobs to help make life better for us. She never taught us to be envious of those who had money, and she did not allow us to pity ourselves because we didn't have as much money as others. Instead, she always found creative ways to use the money she had so the family could have fun. She loved us, encouraged us to get an education and showed us by example what it means to work hard. Now all four of us siblings are doing the patriotic thing (in Joe Biden's eyes) by paying more taxes. One of the biggest problems is our government is willing to pay people for bad choices. Look at the bailout -- businesses and banks that followed failed business models are receiving billions of dollars. Our welfare system, while well-intentioned, ultimately provides incentive to make bad choices. If you want to help Americans, then make them work for every government dollar they receive. I am talking about those who are able-bodied and are physically able to perform work. No sitting around. Make it difficult to receive taxpayer money. Make them pick up litter for food stamps; dig ditches; clean streets; whatever. Mr. Barack Obama did not become president by sitting around and letting the government take care of him. Joe Biden did not become vice president by sitting around and letting the government take care of him (though I am sure some will argue that because he has been on the public payroll since he was 29 or 30 years old, but let's not quibble). And most of all, get government's hand out of my wallet. Let me more of my hard-earned money so that I can stimulate the economy, pay off my debt and build wealth for my retirement ... in other words, get out of my way to success (and my fellow Americans). Paying income taxes is immoral; you are stealing a portion of my productivity. I understand user fees, but I do not understand for the life of me why you think you deserve to steal my money before I ever see it. Why don't you just quit withholding taxes from my paycheck, then send me a bill for how much I owe you. But that probably would not be acceptable because we really don't want Americans understanding how much in taxes they really pay. Dave Ramsey (you can check him out at www.daveramsey.com) says that when people use cash to pay for stuff, it registers in their brain like pain. So, when we use credit cards, there is minimal pain sensation. When we use debit cards there is a little more feeling of pain because the money is coming out of checking accounts, but not much. However, when we spend our cash, there is this sensation that feels a lot like pain. So, because our property (tax dollars) is confiscated before we ever see it, it does not register truly as the pain it is. While I'm talking about Dave Ramsey, I would make every member of Congress and every one in executive branch take Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University. Dave spells out what it takes to achieve financial peace, he calls it his Seven Baby Steps. 1. Set up a $1,000 emergency fund. 2. Pay off your debts using the debt snowball. 3. Save 3 to 6 months of expenses. 4. Invest 15 percent of your income. 5. Save for your children's college. 6. Pay off your home early. 7. Build wealth and give. The problem, as I see it, is Americans want everything right now. They are willing to work hard, but not many are willing to save for major purchases. Instead, they want to put everything on a credit card, 90 days same as cash or take out a loan. I know. I've been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. But, I am living life differently now, and it has made a big difference. As far as taxes go, I am not opposed to paying my fair share of taxes, after all, they go to a lot of things I need to make my daily life easier (roads, law enforcement, clean water, etc). However, we need a fair tax plan. In the church (I am a Christian), there is a general guideline to tithe, or give, 10 percent. If 10 percent is good enough for God, shouldn't it be good enough for government? In the church, we say equal sacrifice (10 percent), though not equal amounts. I wish you well on your endeavors to strengthen the middle class, but I would rather you strengthen all Americans. Quit thinking of my earnings as your money. Quit thinking rich people don't pay their fair share. Worry about having the affairs in your own house in order before worrying about me. For more good information like this (and for some good laughs) visit my blog: http://bobbywarren.blogspot.com. You will love it. Also, check out the label Shenanigans, my attempt at doing "editorial cartoons." Best wishes, if your intentions are honorable, may God bless your efforts; and Go Buckeyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment