Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I'm back, now what?

Since May 2008, I have been serving as city editor for The Daily Record. I traded in the pen and notebook for the computer, dictionary and AP Stylebook. Because writing has been a passion of mine for a long time (my main goal in life was to get paid to write), many asked me if I missed writing.

Well, yes and no.

On occasion, I will write something for the newspaper. Each week, I write a Sunday School lesson for the class I teach at Parkview Church of Christ. I serve, on a volunteer basis, as an associate editor for the Linking Ring magazine, the official publication of the International Brotherhood of Magicians.

So, I still get a chance to write.

But what I do miss is being out with the people in the community everyday. It has been a pleasure getting to meet such wonderful people from a variety of backgrounds. I've met business leaders, politicians, community leaders, philanthropists and everyday citizens trying to improve the lives of others. It's amazing watching how people respond to challenges and needs.

While I am not out everyday, I still try to keep in touch with those who touched my life in a variety of ways. And, though I am at my desk for much of the day, it has given me the opportunity to build better relationships with the reporters on staff.

I believe everything in life is a trade off. If I do this, then I can't do that. I can't add any more without removing something else.

I am enjoying this new opportunity and challenge, and I appreciate The Daily Record taking a chance on me in my new role.

I hope you will visit me often on this blog, which will be about a variety of things. I have so many interests -- people, politics, the Bible, magic, entrepreneurship and a host of other things.

Take care,

Bobby

No comments:

Post a Comment