Monday, February 16, 2009

All conservative, all the time?

Bryan Schaaf, whose signature recipe is for Zesty Chicken Salad, has a link to this blog on his and refers to it as "All Conservative, all the time."

Well, I'd like to think I am all conservative, all the time, but there is one area where I am liberal, very liberal: Charity/giving.

There was a time when my mother was raising four children by herself and the help of extended family. People were very generous with us. Not to mention, my mother is very generous. As a result, I am a giving person by nature.

I don't give because I have to give. I don't give because I am forced to give. I give because my life has been blessed by others who stopped to help me, who gave up something of theirs so that my life would be a little easier, a little better.

I am opposed to income taxes for moral reasons (why should the government collect your money because you are productive and work hard?). I am not opposed to taxes. I like nice roads, safe bridges, beautiful parks and public health. However, I view income taxes as the confiscation of my property. You can't go into your neighbor's house and confiscate his cash, so why should the government be allowed into our paychecks?

For me, if the government took less of my taxes (and my wife's), we would give even more than we do. In recent years, the charitable giving of Al Gore and Joe Biden has come to light.

Conservatives are belittled as not being compassionate, selfish, greedy and uncaring about the plight of their fellow man while liberals are seen as being compassionate, loving, generous and very much concerned about humanity.

What I see is people like Al Gore and Joe Biden are only liberal in giving when it comes at the expense of others, yet they (and those like them) are conservative -- very conservative -- when it comes to giving away their own cash.

Jesus said in Matt. 6:21, "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Where is your heart?

Note: Just found this link about Dick "Darth Vader" Cheney's giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment