Monday, September 5, 2011

The Daily Grind

Anyone who has read this blog knows of my affinity for Certified Angus Beef. I worked in a restaurant that used USDA Prime beef, and CAB is better by far. The other night, I was at Buehler's checking out what CAB products were on sale. 

I had read somewhere about short ribs being used a beef blend for homemade burgers. So, as I was seeing what good deals were available, I noticed a great price for short ribs. Once I saw the price, I knew it was going to make a homemade grind for burgers.

My wife, Wendi, loves burgers, and I wanted to make her some good hamburgers. We are big fans of Five Guys Burgers & Fries. For years, we had wanted to check out Louis' Lunch in New Haven, Conn., where the hamburger sandwich is said to have orginiated. Check out the link and read about the history of the place. We had the chance to enjoy lunch there when we visited New England in late July 2011. What impressed me with the burger from Louis' Lunch was when I bit into the juicy burger, it tasted like I was biting into a steak sandwich.

I have no idea what cuts are used in the grind at Louis' Lunch, but the website said five cuts of beef are used. I would love to know the varieties and the proportions. While the proprietary blend is a mystery to me, I actually got close (without trying) when I made my grind.

I picked up the short ribs, and I was looking for another cut or two to accompany it. I looked at chuck and sirloin. However, I opted on something else: I purchased about an equal amount of Certified Angus Beef beef stir-fry mix. I figured the beef was already sliced and it likely included a variety of cuts instead of just a single one.

I prefer to grind my hamburger blend in a food processor instead of a meat grinder, which is why I gave my grinder away about a year or two ago. I cut up the short ribs and mixed it with the stir-fry beef. I processed the beef in two batches, placing a half of the mixture in each time. I pulsed the beef for about 10 one-second blasts.

Because it was late, I cooked the burgers in a hot, cast-iron skillet. I probably cooked the burgers too much, but when I bit into one, it tasted like I was biting into a steak burger.

With the success I had, I will be keeping an eye out for when short ribs are on sale. I might even try the boneless short ribs, though they do not look exactly like the ones attached to the bones.

What burgers do you like, and do you make your own blend?

No comments:

Post a Comment